What is Worship?
Here at Hope Church, our worship is expressed by what we say, sing and the way we live. Our Worship Ministry includes singing and playing instruments. We do not believe that singing praise to God in a church service is within itself the sum of worship. However, we do believe that singing praise to God is a command to all (Psalm 66:1-2) and is a powerful way to respond to our God and King.
The message that our music and songs communicate is of utmost importance to us. Whether our music is loud or soft, fast or slow, new or old, with a full band or without, matters little in comparison to the message of the song.
It is important to us that the songs accurately reflect the Scriptures. In particular, we hope to express the triune nature of our God as we respond to the gospel of the Son. Though we believe our enjoyment of God brings Him glory, praise is not ultimately about what we want, need, desire or prefer. Worship is an end in itself. We don’t worship to raise money, attract crowds or improve church morale. Should we worship for these reasons then it becomes worship of false gods, which is idolatry, instead of the true and living God. He is our satisfaction.
The worship ministry of Hope Church Toronto West exists to help our people experience the sufficiency and express the supremacy of Jesus Christ in all things.
Worship is the term we use to cover all acts of the heart, mind and body that express the infinite worth of God. This general term is made more specific in our “worship services.” We sing songs, bring tithes and offerings, receive teaching from God’s Word, and reorient our lives in order to reflect and exalt God’s infinite worth.
- Bible Saturation: the content of our singing and praying and welcoming and preaching will always conform to the truth of Scripture. God’s Word is the ground of all our appeal to authority. (Isaiah 40:8)
- Head and Heart: Our service will appeal to clear thinking about spiritual things, and seek to kindle hearts with deep, strong, real emotions towards God with these truths. (Matthew 22:37)
- Reality: Our services will have the atmosphere of a radically personal encounter with the God of truth. We will avoid all pretense and posturing, all flippant, superficial frivolity. We will pursue reverence, passion, and wonder. (Psalm 96)
- Transparency: We want all stage participants to disappear and allow the greatness of God to shine through. Our trust is in our Message, not ourselves as messengers. We actively avoid shoddiness and lack of preparation as well as distracting finesse or refinement. (Psalm 115:1)
- Contemporary and Traditional: We celebrate different time periods of musical expression, not for the sake of appeasing demographics, but to show how the glory of God transcends personal taste. (Matthew 13:52)
Serving in the Worship Ministry
Here are a few things you should know before filling out an application form:
- You must be able to take honest feedback during your initial meeting with our staff.
- You must be a believer in Jesus Christ and Hope Church Toronto West must be your home church. No exceptions.
- We need faithful players and singers who will be willing to play at least once a month.
- Though we will place you in a certain ministry, it doesn’t guarantee you will stay in that ministry. It is up to that ministry leader to decide whether you are capable and trustworthy enough to serve in that specific role.
Also please be aware that our current schedule includes a mandatory 2-hour rehearsal on Thursday night in preparation for our Sunday morning Service. If you value and agree with the above statements, you are welcome to email us at email@example.com or use the sign up form below. We will contact you to set up a date and time for your audition.